Search This Blog

Friday, September 7, 2012

A brief look of London (2)

Bloomberg Report: Occupy London

I recall my conversation with a Englishman in the bar called "The Old Bell Tavern" Before going into the details, I would really recommend this Bar for friends going to London. A interesting part is that they have a  tradition to ring the bell before the bar is going to close.( I think they ring it twice: 30 mins ahead and 1 hour ahead)



Coming back to the topic:
The setting that night is quite interesting. I enter into a bar and it happened to be a crowd of American bankers celebrating. Well, how I can tell they are American and how I can tell they are from banking?

"HEY, DUDE, come to meet our STAR Analyst!"
Their accent stands out quite clearly.

The conversation starts when I approach the bar ask what "Guinness on Black*" is. The bartender explain, and that's how the conversation between Tim and me starts.

1. Foreign invasion or Foreign Investment?:
This question is quite blunt, at least for me and I ask it quite cautiously.

Tim gives me a quite interesting reply
"We English do not really care of the past glory. Yes, we certainly talk of it, we certainly feel it. however, we are also the very practical nation......as long as they come to make our economy running, why not?"

I am not sure whether other visitors to London feel the same way as I do. London, practically, has been bought by mid-easterners and other emerging market money. I was stunned to walk along the way near Harold and found that, lots of restaurant branded dual-lingually: English /Arabic or English/Chinese characters.

His view somehow is valid in a way. Foreign investment indeed might create good employment opportunities, together with consumption and taxation income for governments. However, I believe we shall be cautious on a few things: would this "Trickle-down economics" work for the best of everyone?

I am certainly in doubts.
2. On social welfare system:

I recalled part of our conversation is about the social welfare system: speaking of some men and women honored their countries with participation in wars, yet certainly felt left behind while their benefits were cut due to economic conditions.

That is why I always say, a social infrustruture and economic system design is more important than attraction of FDI. A countries can get FDI, make the frontdoor looks good as economy is still running. Yet, deep inside the door in that shabby chamber, some of their own people are in desperate because the fortune coming at front door would never make its way to their room.

Whose fault is that? I would say everyone since in a democracy system we vote for certain party to rule. Yet, the answer could be no one but those in power. Since the election system did not design for every single issues, those in power should be very careful who they are walking with.

Ah, right, "You will never walk along"

3. On the Tories and the Labors:

By the time I visited London it happened to be on the eve of election for the Mayor of London. Tories certainly has a strong candidate(and won), while Labors expected to place this election as a confidence vote to Mr. Cameron. Oh, the TV is showing the scandal of Sky group.

My friend told me, along the way, they can hardly recognized the difference between Tories and Labors. The candidate of Tories are friendly for everyone: voting for him is not necessarily meaning that a person support Tories. His characteristics are just a great charm. Yet, the Labors should make a great distinction from Tories. Otherwise, they could hardly make a swing victory in election.

Ya, parties nowadays are more alike. And the force bundle them together is ______. I will leave a blank for readers to fill in.

Ok, we did not talk all these tough questions. We share a good talk about Guiness on Black(Blackcurrent juice) and also talk of Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona. Coincidentally as a Arsenal fan my friend is, he believe Cesc has served a good time in Arsenal already. Everybody wants to go home, so, why not Cesc? 

Ha, this is how our conversation could be continued.

I will visit London again, for sure.  and hope next time, next visit, could bring me more ideas.










No comments:

Post a Comment

假想情境:Omicron已在歐洲 (?)

  這是荷蘭疫情開始後,病房住院狀態:從這樣的變化,有沒有新型變體已經在歐陸的可能?